Biography

My Photo
Greetings travelers and thinkers. My name for our purposes here is Sionnix. I am a Humanist/Atheist freethinker who wishes to share his thoughts and experiences with you all. My goal here is to learn, educate, intrigue and grow. If you have anything you wish for me to talk about please please please, don't even think about hesitating. My e-mail is philosophypool@gmail.com. All topic requests will be seriously considered. I hope you all have a wonderful day, and don't ever stop asking questions. -Sio

Followers

Please Peruse!

Loading...

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Bottoms of Your Nikes Don't Exist

Q: If there was such a machine that broke you down into singular atoms, beamed them somewhere, and put them all back together in perfect order, would you step into the machine?



One of my best friends asked me this question a few years back and what I have found is that it is a great way to determine whether or not people believe in souls or not, in particular theirs. Most of the time those who show concern or doubt about this process answer with the following: No, because I would be concerned about losing my memories and thoughts. They are concerned about being a useless vegetable when they pop out at the other end.
My stance on this is yes of course because I believe that all my memories are simply processes that can be exactly replicated if the things from which they are composed are put back the way they were before and change. To put that plainly I don't believe in the concept of souls or anything above the mechanical processes of nature. I am curious as to what you all think about this. Please e-mail me at philosophypool@gmail.com with responses to the question posted above. I would also like to promote my Facebook Page which you can get to via this address: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=363676213072&v=wall&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=363676213072&ref=ts Have a good weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'd have no hesitation to step into such a machine, provided I wanted to go where it would send me. I believe that we rot when we die, and I want my body to rot somewhere useful, so I want to be buried at sea (cremation is filthy and wasteful and I'm not really up to being in a body farm and have known too many med students to want to go that route).

    ReplyDelete